Saturday, April 21, 2007

Thur. Avril 19, Marche Place d' Aligre and La Defense

Brad just appeared after reading Stephen Clarke's second book, " Merde Actually" while
I have spent the past 3 hours updating "our" blog for the past week. His first comment to me was that I was logged in as him not me. I don't know why this is a big deal since it is VERY obvious to tell the difference between my writing and his....

Today, I went to an open air market called Place d' Aligre. It is located in the 11th and I did not like it. All the males selling things kept on bothering me, speaking either English or German to me.







Then I took a picture of the back of a woman's stroller and she came out of the store yelling at me in French. This is very common theme for me. If I speak French to someone, they respond to me in English. Actually this is great because i won't be able to understand them if they responded to me in French. However when they are mad at me, that's when i get the french...
So this woman is Muslim and you aren't suppose to take pictures of Muslim woman when they are in "their" section of town. I wasn't taking a picture of her, but she thought i was. She then followed me for a few blocks (still yelling at me) until I lost her by ducking into a store.

I stopped to pick up a baguette and a couple items for dessert. I asked for a bag, and the woman responded to me that she could put the dessert in a bag, but the baguette is NEVER to go into a bag! She handed me the fresh baguette which wax tissue over the middle for me to hold. Well long story short after holding the baguette in the center for so long, it started to go limp. Plus it was very annoying as I was also caring a bunch of other bags. So, while no one was looking i followed the baguette in half and put it into one of my bags. I'm sure I just offended all of France.

Onto La Defense with Brad. Then a movie, Mr. Bean's vacation (actually it was really funny)
dinner at Chez Nenesse (a great local mom and pop restaurant)